Monday, November 4, 2013

Thanksgiving Has Gone to The Dogs

Now that we have reached November, I am curious whether or not people spoil their pets on Thanksgiving or not? I have done some research and will share! The results were pretty much as expected.

I know that when it comes to my household the dogs are very spoiled around the holidays! I usually don’t feed a lot of wet food to my dog, but when I do my pup loves the stuff. Last Thanksgiving I switched from a canned food (Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner) to one of the new “Tubs” available at Poudre Pet and Feed Supply. There are quite a few different brands who make a tub, but for Thanksgiving it only made sense that I give my dog the “Earthborn Holistic Toby’s Turkey Dinner.” This was great because my dog ate what my family ate on Thanksgiving! The Toby’s Turkey Dinner has Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Green Beans, and Apples. It was a nice way to make the dog part of the family.

My neighbor on the other hand takes it to another level. He like me rarely feeds wet food. But on Thanksgiving Day his dogs eat very well! He makes his dogs a plate of human food. He doesn't go too crazy just a plate of Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, and Stuffing. I have seen this happen and while probably would not feed human food to my dogs, I could see how happy his dogs were and how it made them part of the family.

I asked a co-worker what she did for her dog on Thanksgiving, and she told me she fixes her dog a plate of turkey, sweet potatoes, and stuffing. Apparently I am the only one not fixing my dog a plate of food.

I decided to do some internet research. It would seem that a lot of people give their dogs a plate of human food on Thanksgiving. In fact if done properly it can be a very healthy snack and a great way to include your pet in the festivities. Many of the items we eat are actually good for our dogs. The pumpkin is great for digestive health, Cranberries are great for urinary tract health, and green beans are a great source of fiber. If you treat your dogs to the proper things on Thanksgiving you can actually be helping their health! Things to avoid on this day would be turkey bones!! They are very similar to chicken bones and can splinter and chip which can hurt your dog.

People definitely enjoy spoiling their dogs on Thanksgiving, and it would seem some people take it further than others. There is nothing better than spoiling your dog especially around the holidays. We are always open to more ideas for spoiling your pets, so feel free to send some our way!




No comments:

Post a Comment